Three Air Cadets from Longbenton are on cloud nine after earning their flying wings! After undergoing a selection day, which assessed candidates’ aptitude, knowledge and skills in a simulated environment, three young people from 2344 (Longbenton) Squadron earned themselves a prestigious flying scholarship.
James Douglas, 18, Harry Dixon, 17 and Cameron McDonald, 17, went to Tayside Aviation, Dundee, to undertake an intense two-week, fully sponsored, course.
James said, “I
Her Majesty’s High Sheriff for Tyne and Wear, Mrs Lorna Moran OBE, flew in to celebrate the achievements of Air Cadets at 2344 (Longbenton) Squadron.
Mrs Moran joined the cadets, their families, friends and adult volunteers for their annual awards ceremony. The High Sheriff presented; 31 Duke of Edinburgh Awards, 21 BTEC qualifications (each equivalent to 4 GCSEs,) 9 flying wings, 11 first aid qualifications, 5 paddle sports awards, 3 road marching badges, 25 leadership, 8
Last weekend saw 13 cadets from 1507 attended Durham Northumberland Wing’s inter-Squadron Swimming Competition at Gosforth Swimming Pool with Squadrons from across the North East.
The cadets did extremely well bringing back 16 gold medals, 1 bronze medal and 2 trophies!
Special mention goes to;
- Cadet Blake Ozbek-Hooper who won 3 gold medals in backstroke, butterfly and as part of the junior boys relay team.
- Cadet Jessica Tong who also won 3 gold medals in backstrok
Tonight saw a number of cadets at 1248 Prudhoe Squadron Air Cadets receive a multitude of awards as a result of their hard work!
Pictured below are:
• Heartstart certificates and badges for Sergeants Erving and McLaughlin, as well as cadets Manson, Armstrong and Clark.
• Foundation Leadership badges for cadets Robertson and Clark.
• A Master Air Cadet badge presented to cadet Boyles
• A Silver First Aid badge for Sgt McLaughlin, awarded after completing his Activities Fi
SERGEANT IS TOP OF CLASS!
Over the past week Sergeant Lauren Morton from 352 (Burnley) Squadron bhas attended the Adult Training Facility (ATF) at RAFC Cranwell to undertake the Senior Non Commissioned Officer Staff Initial Course (SSIC).
Whilst on the course Sergeant Morton undertook instruction in key areas such as health and safety, safeguarding and security alongside developing the key skills of instructional techniques, drill and uniform preparation.
The course culmin